The idea of a student run musical theatre company was conceived by Robyn Hoja (Founder). She then went on to discuss the idea with friends and students; generating interest.
The first official RMTC idea meeting was held with eight students from the following programs: Creative Industries, Arts & Contemporary Studies, Business Management, and Performance Acting.
Founding Students: Robyn Hoja, Emily Skublics, Colleen Filson, Tavia Bakowski, Rachel Boere, Mattie Driscoll, Justin Van Lieshout, Steven Solarz
The idea of the Ryerson Musical Theatre Company was successfully pitched to the Ryerson Communication and Design Society (RCDS) and was granted student group standing and first official funding.
The official RMTC Facebook page was launched and began to garner interest among the students at Ryerson.
A Year of Firsts
Attained the rights to Thoroughly Modern Millie and the contract for The Betty Oliphant was signed.
March – November 2015
- Hired our first production team for Thoroughly Modern Millie
- First auditions held for Thoroughly Modern Millie
- First cast announced
- First rehearsal held
- First orchestra selected
February 24-27 2016
First musical, Thoroughly Modern Millie performed by RMTC at the Betty Oliphant Theatre. Four performances in total; two sold out performances and two performances at 80% capacity.
February 28 2016
First Annual General Meeting (AGM) held for members of RMTC to give feedback in the interest of improvement for the student group and its leadership.
Keeping The Momentum
- First official executives hired for the new musical
- First director hiring / pitches held
- Second musical The Drowsy Chaperone announced
- Hired production team (including many new positions via feedback from the AGM)
Signed contract for the Daniels Spectrum Theatre.
Auditions held for Drowsy Chaperone cast, orchestra, and interviews for crew.
Started the first series of “Movie Musical Mondays” as an events campaign in our continued effort to further reach students.
Loaded into the Daniels Spectrum Theatre to begin our technical and dress rehearsals in a new venue.
- The Drowsy Chaperone performed by RMTC
- Second ever Annual General Meeting held at The Imperial
- First official RMTC GALA event held to celebrate and appreciate the hard work and dedication of all company members.